Recorded on April 21, 2015
This week's show has been brought to you by the fine folks at Backblaze: Online Backup Made Easy. Visit Backblaze.com/ccp to sign up for their Partner Programand ask for your free license of Backblaze. Try Backblaze and see just how great it is!
- Issues with G-Technology drives when connected via Firewire.The issue is the Firewire bridge and firmware.
"Around Nov. 2013, they began using a new bridge and the issues are primarily with Time Machine. Time Machine will backup to the drive once, then the drive will fall asleept and won't remount, After a restart of the computer, the G-Tech drive it will work again for another round of backups and then fail."
This was observed by friend of the show, Tim Nyberg - http://www.themacguys.com and echoed by Joe Saponare.
Final Note: There is no recourse with G-Technology and the problem remains unresolved. When connected vis USB, the drive performs as expected.
- Joe, Sam & Jerry all agree, Carbon Copy Cloner by Bombich.com is the "gold standard" among backup programs. Check out our interview with Mike Bombich, developer of Carbon Copy Cloner in show - 091 Interview With Mike Bombich From Bombich.com - Makers of "Carbon Copy Cloner"
- BackBlaze - Online Backup Made Easy Unlimited data backup for your Mac or PC for just $5/month . Show sponsor and "gold standard" for online backup.
- Joe and Jerry run private Crash Plan Proe Servers in their offices. Lively discussion on the pros and cons.
- Joe fondly recalls backing up mac OS System 7 to floppies and Jerry reminisces about Zip Disks invented by Iomega.
- Followup discussion about - Using Carbon Copy Cloner to create a bootable backup to another Macintosh on your network or remote : http://bombich.com/kb/ccc4/using-carbon-copy-cloner-back-up-another-macintosh-on-your-network